Re: demigod worship

From the Bhakti List Archives

• August 27, 2000

Visishtadvaita philosophy rejects the advaitin notion
that the Supreme Being is one without any qualities.
Srivaishnava samprathayam teaches us that Sriman
Narayana is endowed with infinite divine qualities
(kalyANa guNankaL). This is very clearly shown to us
by nammAzhvAr in the first line of the first
thiruvAymozhi pAsuram.

"uyarvaRa uyarnalam udaiyavan yavanavan"

To illustrate: In those days (and on rare occasions
even now) musicians would sing for several hours on
one particular ragam only. But it was always important
that the audience was made aware of what the ragam was
within the first few minutes. It would not be a good
musician that took a long time to make clear what
ragam he/she was presenting. nanjeeyar whenever he
made upanyAsams on nammAzhvAr's thiruvAymozhi, always
expressed his amazement at the fact that nammAzhvAr
denied the advaitin notions and brought out emperumAn's
true nature in not just the first verse, but in the
first line of the first verse (almost like a slap in
the face).

Vedas also desribe Sriman Narayana as posessing
countless divine qualities as well as countless poor
qualities (dOsha gunaNkaL). This is explained by our
Acharyas as: He has infinite divine qualities and hence
they cannot be counted; on the other hand, He has no
poor qualities and hence they cannot be counted as
well (there has to be at least one to even start
counting). Of course, that is the exact opposite for
us.

On a side note: while talking about making the main
concept clear very early in one's presentation, it is
also said that to understand a presentation, one only
has to read the beginning and the end. In this context,
the following two words were taken out by our
poorvAchAryAs from thiruvAymozhi. From the first verse,
the key word is "aruLinan" and from the last verse the
key word is "veedu peRRa". With those two words,
nammAzhvAr defined the Srivaishnava philosophy. That
is, His grace (aruL) is the means (upAyam) and reaching
Him (veedu) is the end (purushArththam).

adiyEn madhurakavi dhAsan
T.C.A. Venkatesan