Re: udayavar sannidhi

From the Bhakti List Archives

• April 22, 1999

Thanks to Sri Mani for clarifying this. AdiyEn wrote, only what I had
heard from others. In fact I came to know about the facts only from
Sri Mani's post. Thanks again to Sri Mani and my sincere apologies
to all members, for my post was misleading on this issue.

adiyEn RAmAnuja dAsan

Thirumalai Vinjamoor Venkatesh

> To:            BHAKTI@SMTP {bhakti@lists.best.com}
> From:          MANI@SMTP (Mani Varadarajan) {mani@be.com}
> Subject:       Re: udayavar sannidhi
> Date:          20-Apr-99 13:13:45 -0500

> Sri T.V. Venkat wrote:
> > The first one, ThAnAna thirumEni, it is the original thirumEni of
> > swAmi EmberumAnAr. One can even see the true nails in His fingers in
> > the sannidhi. This is one of the most distinguished importance of the
> > sannidhi at Srirangam.
>
> This is popular legend but not true.  Sri Ramanuja's body
> was interred in the temple temple premises and the sannidhi
> was constructed over it.  The image in Srirangam known as
> 'tAn Ana tirumEni' is therefore placed *over* the remains
> of Ramanuja and is *not* the very body of Ramanuja.
>
> The late vidvAn Sri Sathabhishekam Govinda Narasimhachariar,
> Sri V.V. Ramanujam and others are authorities who have expressed
> their views on this subject.  The story that the image is
> that of Ramanuja itself is a recent concoction that has been
> espoused and promoted by the temple priests and management.
>
> This particular image of Ramanuja is regularly covered with
> some unknown treatment to give it the look that it has today.
>
> Rest assured that it is not the very body of Sri Ramanuja.
>
> > Additionally adiyEn heard that bhakthAs who go
> > to this sannidhi at Srirangam will wash their feet after coming out.
>
> I had sEvai of Sri Ramanuja here with a Srirangam regular
> and also sat in the goshTi and to my knowledge no one
> washed their feet after leaving the sannidhi.
>
> adiyEn rAmAnuja dAsan
> Mani
> ***** Message Was Scanned For Viruses *****

Regards