Re: the meaning of pranavam

From the Bhakti List Archives

• April 27, 2003

Dear friend:

As per our Siddhantam, PraNavam comprises of three syllables "a", "u" and
'ma". "a" denotes Sriman Narayana. "u" represents "Thaayaar". In another
yojana, it is said to denote "only", since "a" itself is taken to denote the
divine couplle (Sriman Narayana and His inseparable Consort, Sri
Mahaalakshmi") "ma" represents the Jivatma. Taken together, it means that
the Jeevatma exists as the servitor ONLY for the divine couple as aforesaid.

Swami Desikan in his "Srimad Rahasya Traya Saaram" has established this
truth beyond any doubt quoting appropriate PramaaNams from the Vedas down to
the least of our scriptures.

As it always happens, there is a tendency on the part of others to literally
highjack this sacred term and use it with all and sundry deities (and
sometimes even fake Gurus)! No doubt, the votaries of these would advance
spurious expalantions (not based on PramaaNams)
to justify this misuse.

Perhaps, this is also a leela of our meciful Lord to allow this blasphemy!

Sometime ago, I discussed this issue with Sri Ananta Narasimhachar Swami,
Srikaryam of Srimad ANDavan, PounDarikapuram Swami Ashramam, Srirangam. He
gave a very interesting reply.

"Whatever it may be, the very mention of the PraNavam at the beginning
proves that knowingly or unknowingly, they have paid their respects to the
Divya Dhampatis first and what follows may relate to any "entity" about
which we need not bother!"

Dasoham
Anbil Ramaswamy