Re: Fwd: few questions

From the Bhakti List Archives

• April 3, 2003

SrI:

Dear  SrIman Raghavan: I will be happy to
join with other bhakthAs to answer your questions .
Here is my input.

AshtAnga VimAnam is the name of the VimAnam
for the PerumAL at ThirukkUdal (Madhurai
Koodalazhakar), who presented Himself before
PeriyAzhwAr to recieve the MangaLAsAsanam of
ThiruppallANDu.

SrI Sowmya NaarAyaNan of ThirukkOshtiyUr has
His vimAnam known as AshtAnga VimAnam. The links
of this dhivya dEsam to AchArya RaamAnuja and our sampradhAyam
is well recorded. The other dhivya dEsam that we can not
see with our human eyes is Parama Padham (SadhA pasyanthi
Sooraya:). That dhivya desam also has AshtAnga VimAnam.

AshtAnga VimAnam literally means ashta angams ,
the VimAnam with 8 Parts or limbs or features . The number 8 has
special significance in our darsanam (e.g) AshtAkshari
or Moola  mantram , AshtAnga yOgam . The Lord inside is
AshtAkshari PrathibhAdhya SrIman NaarAyaNan. The VimAnam at
ThiruvAli dhivya desam is indeed known (named) as
AshtAkshara VimAnam. PraNavam is an integral part
of Moola Manthram . Inview of its centrality,
the VimAnam at  SrIrangam is revered as PranavAkruthi
VimAnam ( of the form of PraNavam) .

Usually the names of the VimAnams have connections to
the consecrated Lord presiding at that Dhivya dEsam.
Examples are at Thirukkadigai ( ShOLingar) ,
the presiding  Lord is Narasimhan . hence the VimAnam
is endearingly recognized as " Simha GhOshtAkruthi
VimAnam or the sound embodiment of Lord Narasimhan's
Garjanai. At the AhObila Dhivya dEsam , the VimAnam
is Guhai VimAnam . The Lord's residence inside as
antharyAmi Brahman is perhaps indicated in this hilly
dhivya desam.There are other explanations as well
that one can think of.

There may be instances , where the same name will
be associated with the VimAnams of two different
Dhivya dEsams: Example is provided by Kaanchi
PeraruLALan ThirukkaditthAnam Adhbhutha NaarAyaNan's
vimAnam . Both are revered as PuNyakOti VimAnam.
Vaamana VimAnam is the name chosen for both the
VimAnams at ThirukkaLvanUr and ThirukkAragam
dhivya desams.Other  examples are KalyANa VimAnams
at Thiruvidventhai and UrayUr(ThirukkOzhi) dhivya
desams.SrIvaramangai (VaanamAmalai )and SiRuppuliyUr
dhivya desams have the VimAnams with the same name,
Nandha Vardhana VimAnam.The name Kanaka VimAnam
is shared by more than one dhivya desam.Ditto
for SrIkara VimAnam . I would leave it to BhakthAs
to find out which dhivya desams have this VimAnam.
Ditto for Soundharya VimAnam and VijayakOti VimAnam.

ThirukkAvaLampAdi dhivya desa vimAnam is
worshipped as SvayambhU or self-manifested vimAnam.

For  Swamy  NammAzhwAr , Govindha Naamam (KaNNan)is very
dear. hence the name for the VimAnam at AzhwAr's birth place
is named "Govindha VimAnam ".

Some times sacred flowers dear to ThAyAr are
associated with the names of Dhivya desa VimAnam :
KamalAkruthi VimAnam ( ThirukkaNDiyUr), Uthpala
VimAnam ( ThirukkaNNangudi) , Kumudha VimAnam
( Thiruttholaivilimangalam), MandhAra VimAnam
( Thirunandhipura ViNnagaram).

Vedic links are given to some VimAnams >
I will leave it to you to identify which
dhivya desams ahve those Vedic links:
Purushasooktha VimAnam , Veda VimAnam ,
vedasAra VimAnam (Two dhivya desams),
PraNava VimAnam .

The VimAnam for my Kula dhaivam (ThiruviNnagarappan)
is Unalloyed bliss vimAnam ( SuddhAnandha VimAnam ) and that
of His younger brother on top of the Seven hills is
Aanandha Nilaya VimAnam. You can hear the resonances.

Finally, Thirupparamapadham ( TirunAdu) of
Vaikunta Naathan has the VimAnam known as
AnanathAnga VimAnam. Anantha is infinite ,
limitless . That VimAnam is infinite in its
auspicious Sudhda sathvA aspects.

I will address your other questions on srushti
(Vyashti, Samashti) and Sub-vyUhams in the next note .
The srishti concepts are complex and are covered by
Upanishads. The best route is to access a sdadAachAryan
and perform KaalakshEpam under their sacred feet.
The more one writes, the more questions will arise and
it may not be easy to tacle in an imperfect medium as
Internet.

With best Wishes for continuing your inquiries,
V.Sadagopan