Re: Gita and Ahimsa (and Gandhiji)

From the Bhakti List Archives

• March 28, 2003

Dear Bhaktas,

Gandhiji's practise of Ahimsa was no doubt relentless and perhaps
even the need of the day, but his assertion that Ahimsa is the
central principle of all spirituality is unwarranted. The assertion
is only as correct as the assertion of Sri Shankara that the Gita
preaches Advaita, as correct as the assertion of Sri Ramanuja that
the Gita preaches Vishishtadvaita, as correct as the assertion of
Sri Madhva that the Gita preaches Dwaita...and so on.

If perfect renunciation is impossible without Ahimsa, it is
impossible for kshatriyas to reach the abode of The Lord. How then
did Bhishma attain mukthi and reach The Lord? Perfect ahimsa is even
impossible, as has also been admitted by Gandhiji himself. That
would mean that mukthi is impossible.

We could quote many other verses from the Gita to show that Ahimsa
is not its central principle. But the point of the Gita is not even
to show that "Ahimsa is not the central principle". Nay, it is
something entirely different.

At the same time, I do not even mean to say that Gandhiji's Ahimsa
was something bad. Great was the man, and great was his Karmayoga.
After all, who doesn't want Shanti and Ahimsa? The problem arises
when someone starts misusing the Ahimsa of the Ahimsa-vadis.
Gandhiji's success in the Freedom Movement was largely due to
Ahimsa, I agree. But what role did Ahimsa play in his Freedom
Movement? It only played the role of uniting a Nation of people
using a familiar and easy-to-understand punchline. It played the
role of filling courage into the hearts of our countrymen. It played
the role of handing a weapon to our countrymen - a weapon of courage
and the resolve to die for the country (but not kill). That was the
amazing effect that his pursuance of Ahimsa had on our country.

I have nothing against the great man or even his theory that Ahimsa
is the central principle. I have learnt a lot from his writings, and
adore him. But if Ahimsa itself becomes a handicap, Himsa is a tool -
 in the application of which there is nothing, absolutely nothing to
be lost by a true, I repeat, a true Karmayogi.

That part...one gets the feeling that Gandhiji missed.

Cheers
Kiran

--- In bhakti-list@yahoogroups.com, "M.K. Krishnaswamy"
 wrote:
> Dear Devotees,
>
> In these distressed times, it is natural that our thoughts are
about violence and non-violence. The greatest practitioner of non-
violence - Mahatma Gandhi, who followed the teachings of the
Bhagawad Gita in his life, wrote a commentary on all the 18 chapters
of the Gita, in which he posed to himself the commonly asked
question: