RE: karma and God

From the Bhakti List Archives

• April 25, 2002

Dear Members,

I think the answer probably lies in the freewill concept. Despite our past
karmA we are all endowed with freewill to act in a fair and just
manner -which means even if someone is born a rAkshasA (demon) by virtue (?)
of his/her past actions, one can change for the better through good deeds.
On the contrary, if the demon chooses to continue in the path of evil then
the Lord steps in to deliver the verdict.

"...is the factor that death by Lord dictated by Karma?" -

No, it is dictated by one's actions that are partially influenced by past
karmA and partially carried out of freewill.

"..Meaning that if a perosns karma is such that he will have a natural death
then Lord cannot kill him ? or can
perumAL over ride that. "

Though past karmA may dictate a natural death, freewill actions may override
it thereby necessitating Lord's intervention. Taken together it can be
argued that the result is due to the past and present karmAs.

Boons are given according to one's current actions - notwithstanding one's
destiny to receive such boons.

When we say things happen the way they are supposed to - it doesn't really
allude exclusively to pre-arranged karmA dynamics but indeed how logically
it would play out given the circumstances and the people involved.

Trust this helps.

Respectfully,
Sriram