RE: Sri Ramayana Tatthva Deepika - Ba:la Ka:nda (10)

From the Bhakti List Archives

• April 24, 2002

mani,

if we take punishment as a "correction process" then it is more parental,
like a time out for the naughty kid. punishment is sometimes taken as a
"revengeful action", But God is not revengeful. he always wishes the good of
a person whatever may be the situation.

However we may want to phrase it. WE can see punishment as an effect of
mercy and an act from a well wisher even though it is hard to swallow this
for person who had a bad injury or for a cancer patient undergoing
chemotherapy knowing well that he/she will have a painful time towards the
path of a known death. It is very difficult for ordinary people to feel OK
when things go wrong and feel that it is all for the pleasure of God and it
has nothing to do with them since even their existence is only for the sake
of GOD (seshin). this attitude is very difficult to develop. One should
develop it early in life. since that is what is required in this life which
is designed to eventually perish.

Krishna Kashyap