Re: Question on dEvatAntaram

From the Bhakti List Archives

• April 20, 2001

Pranama to all.
It is a misconception that we vaishnavas are siva
dweshis or devataantara dweshis. Unfortunately, not
just others but many of us ourselves(we srivaishnavas)
also think the same way.
But our philosophy as you have very rightly said is
love for all and every atman is sri man narayana. We
only desist from worship of devtantara but do regards
them for their respective portfolios. Since we seek
only the ultimate purushartha "moksha" of the four
(dharma, artha, kama and moksha) we do not go to these
devtaantara for they are not empowered to award
moksha.
Else, they are also jeevatma like us. So why worship
them for they are not the "GOD".
One can witness this in the dakshina sampradaya
bhajana samprdaya where they will sing praise of all
the devatantara only to give them due respect to them,
invite them to join us in the celebration of
raasakreeda or thiru kalyana utsava of Rama or Krishna
or Venkatesa... In the present scenario, some recent
composers have created lyrics calling anyone and
everyone as "moolaadhara moorthy". We must go by the
songs of saints like Tygaraja, Purandara dasa, Tulsi
Dasa and the like and note that even if they sing
about the devtaantara they will only give due respect
to their otfolio, call them as ardent devotees of
narayana or as path setters for us but not
asmooladhara moorhy.
There is more to this. I will probably share a little
later.
dAsan
suderson

=====