Re: thirmangalyam

From the Bhakti List Archives

• April 19, 2001

ananthamAna dhendans to all sri vaishnavAs.
from some interactions with vaidikaas(srivaishnava as
well as smartha), i could provide this info:
1. Maangalya dharanam in for of mangalya soothram is
not very clearly mentioned in the vedic scriptures.
the main aspect of marriage os SAPTHAPADHI.
2. In Sri AndAl's vAranamAyiram also does not talk
about mAngalya dharanam.
3. Silappathikaaram also does not say about mAngalya
soothram.
4. Some old Tamil scriptures talk about a talisman in
which a palm leaf engraved with the name of the spouse
is tied to the necklace of the bride and the groom.

dAsanudAsan
Suderson
--- Srinivasan K  wrote:
> Pranams to group members
>
> I am a new member to this group. Something regarding
> thirumangalyam has been
> catching my attention for a long time.
>
> With great pomp thirumangalya dharanam is performed
> in the marriage
> function. The three knots are tied by the
> bridegroom.
> But within three months the sacred thread is changed
> at the brides place.
>
> is there any vedic principle behind this?
>
> I request members to throw some light on this
> subject.
>
> Pranams
>
> Srinivasa dAsan

> FREE Personalized Email at Mail.com