Re: Clarification on Mahavishvasa and prapatti

From the Bhakti List Archives

• April 6, 2001

Srinath Chakravarty writes:
> Sri. Mohan:  Namaskaram.  Adiyen always thought that acharyas
> are the ones who lead us towards perumAL, by forming a bridge
> between ourselves and paramatma.  You appear to suggest the
> opposite.  Could you kindly clarify?

Dear Srinath,

There is an interesting anecdote in the bhagavad-viSayam
that answers this question.  Please see the "eeDu" commentary
on tiruvAymozhi 2.3.2, "ottAr":

   Once in the lecture-assembly of Sri Embaar, a question arose
   as to who the first acharya of the jIva was.

   "The guru who imparts to us the scriptures," said some.

   "The holy person who takes us to the spiritual preceptor
    for acceptance," said others.

   "None of you are right," said Embaar. "The first acharya is
   that Universal Lord who is seated in our hearts, and who unseen,
   gives us the impulse *not to resist*, but *to yield* to the
   good services offered by the visible preceptors and helpers."

Does this not clarify that it is through the Lord's efforts
that we meet with our earthly acharyas?

aDiyEn rAmAnuja dAsan,