Re: Clarification on Mahavishvasa - 2

From the Bhakti List Archives

• April 5, 2001

Mohan Sagar wrote:

> Ours, then, is to marvel at His abilities to ensnare with His
> Countless Wonderful Qualities, and in doing so, cultivate the
> naturally resulting seed of faith that will allow Him to redeem
> us.

Dear Sri. Mohan:  Kindly permit me to bring up another related
matter - it is not just Perumal's ability to render us awe-struck,
but the infinitude of his kalyana gunams (and their appreciation)
which constitute the path of bhakti.  For jeevatmas of the "third
category" as you mention, it is virtually impossible to appreciate
these limitless qualities of paramatma - which is where our
acharyas step to help us tread the correct path of devotion.

Only mahanubhavars such as azhwars who belong to the "first
category" are capable of this bhakti on their own.  This is some-
what loosely analogous to "svanishtai".  If PerumaL could snare
us all into bhakti-marga, there is no need for acharyas, nay - for
that matter even azhwars.  We baddha jeevas must seek the
guidance of acharyas in order to cultivate the "seed of faith"
that is presumably dormant in each of us.

adiyEn,
-Srinath C.