Re: Sri Bhashyakarar and Sri Vishnupuranam etc

From the Bhakti List Archives

• April 14, 2000

----- Original Message -----
From: A.Bharat
> 2.It had a reputation as an authoritative text from
> very old times- it is mentioned in Sangam literature
> and in Banabhatta's Harsha Charitam for instance.
> whereas there was a constant controversy re the
> authorship of Sri Bhagavatam even upto Sri BhAshyakArar's
> times.

I am unclear as to why there should be any question over the Bhaagavatam's
authenticity as a Puraana. I can most certainly say that the evidence does
not support the idea that the Puraana was a recent composition and that
anyone other than Vyaasa composed it. Other Puraanas glorify or at least
mention Shriimad Bhaagavatam, and it seems unlikely that such Puraanas would
glorify a scripture which had not been composed at the time of their
compilation! Here are a few examples:

padma puraaNa, uttara-khaNDa 236.18-21 lists the 18 puraaNa-s and this list
includes the bhaagaavata:

vaiShNava.m naaradiiya.m cha tathaa bhagavata.m subham |
gaaruDa.m cha tathaa paadma.m vaaraaha.m shubhadarshane ||
saatvikaani puraaNaani vij~neyaani shubhaani vai |
brahmaaNDa.m brahmavaivarta.m maarkaNDeya.m tathaiva cha ||
bhaviShyam vaamana.m braahma.m raajasaani nibodha me |
matsya.m kaurma.m tathaa lai.nga.m shaiva.m skaanda.m tathaaiva
cha aagneya.m cha ShaD etaani taamasaani nibodha me ||

The matsya puraaNa 53.20-22 describes the bhaagavatam as that puraana which
explains the topmost dharma with reference to the Gaayatrii mantra, tells of
the killing of the demon Vritra, and has 18,000 verses:

yatraadhikR^itya gaayatrii.m varNyate dharmavistaraH |
vR^itraasuravadhopeta.m tad bhaagavatam iShyate ||
likhitvaa tach cha yo dadyaad dhemasi.mhasamanvitam |
prauShThapadyaa.m paurNamaasyaa.m sa yaati paramaa.m gatim ||
aShTaadashasahasraaNi puraaNa.m tat prakiirtitam ||

The skandha puraaNa, prabhaasa-khaNDa 7.1.2.39-42 gives a similar

yatraadhikR^itya gaayatriim...
saarasvatasya kalpasya madhye ye syur naraamaraaH |
tadvR^ittaantodbhava.m loke tach cha bhaagavata.m smR^itam ||
likhitvaa tach cha.... aShTaadasha sahasraaNi puraaNa.m tat prakiirtitam |

Similar verses are also found in agni puraaNa 272.6-7.